Thanks to everyone for being there, we had a good time, as usual! Courtney’s Salad Dressing Explosion added a little extra excitement :)
We talked about fats and why we so desperately need saturated fats back in our diets, particularly for infants and children. Following is the info on the slide presentation plus Courtney’s recipes for the fudge and the salad dressing (sans explosion).
Several of you asked about kefir from the previous meeting. If you don’t know anyone who can share grains with you, then you can order kefir grains here — this is where we get ours. And here’s how to make kefir.
Presentation on “The Oiling of America”
For the PowerPoint, I used Sally Fallon Morell‘s 2-hour presentation on “The Oiling of America” as the basis, then cut it down to 30-minutes. Several of you all wanted a copy, so here are several options to review the info:
- My Oiling NOTES here, the Oiling 30 Min Slides here (both in pdf). I didn’t get through all the material in the meeting, it needs to be cut down even more for a short presentation. Feel free to edit and use for your own presentation! You can copy and paste from a pdf. If you have any trouble, email me and I’ll send you the text file.
- The original Oiling of America YouTube video which is the entire presentation delivered by Sally Fallon Morell — excellent!
- Dr. Mary Enig on Saturated and Trans Fats (video). Dr. Enig co-authored both the Nourishing Traditions Cookbook and Eat Fat, Lose Fat with Sally Fallon Morell.
- 1 Cup each: coconut oil, cocoa powder, nut butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- Gently melt coconut oil.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend.
- Pour into molds or muffin pan.
- At this point, you can add sea salt or pecans or shredded coconut or pretty much anything to the top of the mixture.
- Freeze till solid.
- Remove from molds and enjoy.
- Store in freezer. (Coconut oil becomes liquid at about 72 degrees.)
Honey Mustard Salad Dressing
- 1/3 Cup each: apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey
- 1 Cup olive oil
- Mix first 3 ingredients
- Then slowly add the olive oil while either briskly stirring or whisking or use a stick blender.
- Store in fridge.
Courtney mentioned that she orders several food items from Thrive Market. They are non-GMO, many organic and it’s all delivered to your door.
See you next time!